Friday, October 27, 2006

"Baby did a bad, bad thing..."

This morning I called my cellphone provider to cancel. I murdered my phone a month ago in order to get the one I just got and refuse to pay $200+ for a phone than others can get for $79.99. Why should a current customer have to pay more than a new one? But anyways...

It's a $200 early termination fee for canceling my murdered phone's line... and I got out of it.

I told them about my terrible luck with the phone, how it ended up drowning it in a lake and then how my MP ate it up.

(I left out that I dropped it by "mistake" in the water, but then it still worked. So I took the battery out, called Monster Puppy over and played fetch with it.)

I didn't tell them that I got on DH's plan- but that I'm "saving" one of the lines on my Dad's plan with them. So then the sweet-talking Southern gal came out in me and I did the whole "bat-of-the-eyelashes" voice and saved myself a $200 fee.

Just like that.

I got off the phone all proud of myself... then I told DH. He then said this, "Isn't that manipulation and omitting the truth which you consider lying Miss Anti-Liars?"

So now I'm pouting.
Part of me wanted to call the company back and admit to it- part of me can think of tons of things I'd rather do with $200.

I plan on spending that money tonight so even if I end up changing my mind I can't because it's gone.

They're a major company. They can have the phone back. Yes, I murdered it. Yes, I didn't tell the whole truth- but I need that new whatever-it-is-I'm-buying more than they need that fee.

It's just like when you find $20 on the floor in a store- you can turn it in and have some employee keep it or you can pocket it as a "finder's fee".

It isn't that bad to keep it now is it?


8 comments:

Evil Spock said...

I'm all for sticking it to the man. Good for you!

Lala said...

Trust me, to them you are just a write off. They won't miss it. And they aren't a person... so lyng to them is ok.. right....

BBC said...

Ha,ha, ha, funny blog.

"neurotic. over-emotional. retarded. bitchy. compassionate. has too many bras and socks yet not enough jeans and mittens."

And you're honest. I like that. Keep on keeping on.

Angry Ballerina said...

I told my cell provider that my cell was "stolen" once...I really dropped it in the toilet.....

Madison said...

aww you guys are wonderful.

i didn't feel so bad when i went to petsmart for the animals and then to target for a bunch of random crap. i spend almost that entire amount, except for the cost of a pumpkin spice latte from starbucks that i'm going to get tomorrow...

oh well...

my new phone is pretty...

mwahahahahhaha

Madison said...

after sleeping on it last night- i feel much less guilty.

well, sleeping and my new nailpolish collection...

Baba Ganoush said...

Despite my love of big business, I hate cell phone companies.

I cancelled a plan a few months ago, and they did not tell me I was still under contract. In fact, they said I would receive a zero balance bill in a few days.

Well the bill came, and apparently they were seeking $200. I had not sweet southern voice to pull out, so I went with my angry large man routine. In the end, they were sending me $75, which reminds me, I have not gotten.....

Good for you!!!!!

Madison said...

well i can't really pull off the angry man thing considering certain parts are missing to do it- mainly the whole man concept.

however, when i have had to deal with dh's plan (same company only this was two years ago) i did infact get super evil. i guess when dealing with needing a phone for military purposes and having them temp shut it off due to lack of payment (even though it was paid and early for that matter) the sweet southern gal hibernates so the evil bitch of the east can come out. hehehe

i hate cellphone companies. i also cannot stand the cable monopolies as well...