Thursday, October 26, 2006

Isn't it a bit early to be thinking about Christmas?

Well, there's no "bun in the oven".

I'm sort of feeling relieved and a wee bit disappointed all in one. That's fine though, because even though I want to be a mom one day, today just isn't it. Besides, this means that I can still enjoy alcoholic beverages over the holidays. :)

It also means that I don't have to feel guilty for getting a new cellphone and going shopping with DH for bras! DH is a "spender" and whenever we go shopping for one or two items we always come home with ten times that amount, which the other day greatly benefited me. Meanwhile, I hadn't been to one of the three local-ish malls in quite some time and when I happened to stumble upon a certain storefront sign labeled "coming soon" I seriously felt my heart skip a beat.

SEPHORA.

Right here. Not in Boston, or even NYC. But here. I swear, DH didn't know if I was having a panic attack or was about to faint. This store may mean nothing to most- but to a "beauty junkie" it's like a staple to our daily functioning.

Meanwhile, over the past few days I've got the notion to explore Salem, Massachusetts for Halloween. I've been there twice before, just not on the holiday. DH lived there for a few years when he was younger with his father and the stories he has are quite spooky. It's just this vibe- which I still haven't figured out if it's real or imaginary- that just overwhelms the senses.

Yet that's the cart-before-the-horse... this weekend we're going apple picking. Again. I still have a quarter of a bushel of apples left from earlier in the month but I've got my heart set on a few apple pies to make. I'm going to send most of them with DH to the guys at work, and I suppose the apples I do have left- which are still very good by the way- are going into mason jars after getting squashed into apple sauce. Interesting how apples I personally picked right off a tree are still good 2.5 weeks later. Makes me wonder about the ones I buy at the grocery store... how old are they?

Getting back to shopping though... Christmas decor is already up and in full-force marketing in stores everywhere. It's October. Now, I'm one of the biggest fans for Christmas time, but it seems that every year it just starts sooner than the one previous. Yet, when one ventures into the stores now and sees ornaments, trees, and lighting options already they start to dwell on the holiday stresses. My SIL is one for this already. She's been calling me and is already stressing out over which holiday events are going to be feasable and which ones aren't. It's going to be a long season that's for sure.

This is the start of "who's family" between DH and I also. My parents are still married- so that's one house. His however are not, so that's two houses. It would be fine except it seems to always turn into his parents keeping us at their own house longer than planned so we end up being late to the next place- which thus turns into us never getting to my family.

Right now I'm debating just having Thanksgiving and Christmas at MY house.
Only DH, MP, SP, Meow-meow, and I.

Less presents obviously... but I'd rather have the fire roaring in the fireplace, a few bottles of wine, and DH next to me watching movies anyways.

6 comments:

Angry Ballerina said...

"Christmas comes but once a year, now its, now it's here,
bringing lots of joy and cheer fa la la la laaa"
X mas comes BEFORE Halloween, and Turkey Day, didnt you know?? Yea, I was shopping the other day and nearly threw up bc shops are already cracking out the singing santas and crap like that...Here comes my Holiday Migrane.....

Madison said...

i know right? stupid me- i thought halloween was a couple of months before christmas.

i guess now it's no longer an excuse for not getting someone a present that doesn't suck?

too bad i tend to always get the crappy gifts... like last year some cookie-press thingie. i don't care if my cookies are shaped like stars or what not. i just like them to taste good.

Angry Ballerina said...

I got a pair of cashmere socks. BEST GIFT EVER

Baba Ganoush said...

What the heck Madison. No posts for over a week, and then you drop 4 on us....... Good thing I decided to come home tonight instead of stay in Indy.....

My wife and I have the same "discussion" every year....where to go. She has a huge family, and they celebrate for like 7 days. She, of course, wants to be there all week. It just makes holidays a mess. Drive here, drive there. It'll be a little better because we are closer now, but I'm with you. Let's just have it at our house (which we are doing for Thanksgiving) and if they want to see us they know where we live.

Madison said...

so jealous of the socks AB. i'm a huge sock lover... but somehow no one ever gets me them as gifts. not even husband.

Madison said...

i know- figured i'd make it up... husband has a huge family too- and honestly i'm sick of spending my holidays in the suv- even though i do love my suv.

i think i'm going to put my foot down and say the same thing. problem is- there are like five different people that refuse to see others in his side of the family. i swear- it's so stupid to "disown" siblings... i can understand the divorce parts- but siblings?